100,000 flee south Kordofan as Obama calls for a ceasefire

Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir is flexing muscles to try and make life difficult for the south as it prepares to break up the country.

At least 100,000 people are feared to have fled bombing in Sudan’s South Kordofan region following clashes between south Sudan forces and President Omar Al-Bashir’s forces near the north-south border. The United Nations accused Northern forces of targeting the area’s pro-southern groups, as oil-rich South Sudan prepares for independence next month.

Following the upsurge in the fighting, US President Barak Obama issued a call for a ceasefire to prevent a return to the two-decade north-south civil war. Instigated by the North, the fighting is said to have already claimed the lives of about 65 people. The Sudan Democracy First Group accused Khartoum of pursuing a genocidal campaign in South Kordofan. But a spokesman for the Sudanese embassy in London, Ibrahim Mubarak, said pro-south militias were responsible for the conflict.  “They are not disciplined. They attacked UN forces and Sudanese army forces and instigated the whole situation,” he told the BBC’s Network Africa programme.

The UN humanitarian agency, Ocha, said 11 areas were affected by the violence, forcing many people to hide in mountainous areas. The UN says Sudan was carrying out an “intensive bombing campaign” near the north-south border. “There is a growing sense of panic among some of the displaced populations who find themselves trapped by the ongoing violence and ethnic fault lines,” it added.

One thought on “100,000 flee south Kordofan as Obama calls for a ceasefire

  • June 16, 2011 at 6:27 am
    Permalink

    Dear Editor,
    Some of us who have knowledge of the problems of Sudan pray that this does not suck in neighbours of Southern Sudan as this would lead to a full blown-out conflict in the centre of Africa and Horn of Africa. We are working behind closed scenes to talk to both sides voluntarily to make sure that the conflict does not go beyond the level where it is. I have always told the world that most governments in Africa need peace missions on standby because there is always a conflict in waiting. Governments in Africa must bring peace at their hearts and avoid to prepare for war. The USA is always coming in through warnings that only add oil to the fire in Abyei . It has always wanted to divide Sudan and Africa must stand up. The CPA which the USA almost refused to recognise in Naivasha, has real benchmarks of ending the conflict. We should go back to the table and both Khartoum and Juba through international mediators and Kenya as a country that helped to negotiate the CPA to try to settle the current crisis.

    There are many loose militias in the Sudan and in the areas where the conflict is shaping itself. So an immediate peace mission from Africa is the best way out. US calls for restraint will not be heeded because the USA uses force in many conflicts in the world. The mess that USA has caused in Libya leaves it dented and its image badly defaced to give such advice. So the African Union must begin a serious move before the war goes to higher degrees.
    Thanks

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *

393,840 Spam Comments Blocked so far by Spam Free Wordpress

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>