From Collins Wanzala in Nairobi
The refusal of the former leader of Mungiki sect in Kenya Mr Maina Njenga to appear as one of the witnesses of a suspect at the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague is one of the reasons behind an assassination attempt threat on Njenga. Speaking at his homes in Ngong, Njenga flanked by his lawyer who is also a Presidential aspirant Mr Paul Muite said that he was ready to travel to the Hague and serve as a witness for the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Finance Mr Uhuru Kenyatta but was denied visa to travel to the Hague and also did not have money to purchase air ticket to the Hague when Kenyatta wanted him to do so.
He said that he was informed by an Assistant Minister from the populous Kikuyu community whom he did not mention his name that Mr Kenyatta was furious with his denial to travel to the Hague and act as his witness in the case facing him and five other Kenyans. Kenyatta, alongside head of Civil Service and Secretary to the Cabinet Ambassador Francis Muthaura, former Cabinet Ministers William Ruto and Henry Kosgey together with former Police Commissioner Major General Hussein Ali and Radio Journalist Joshua Arap Sang, are indicted for crimes against humanity committed after the controversial 2007 Kenyan elections that saw President Kibaki re-elected for a second term in office.
During the post-election violence in Kenya, more than 1000 people were killed and close to half a million left homeless after their houses and homes were torched. The most affected areas were Rift Valley, Nyanza and Nairobi Provinces.
At Thursday’s press conference, Njenga said five Criminal Investigation Department (CID) officers had been send to his home to record statements from him and other two witnesses who received death threatening calls on the life of Njenga and also witnessed vehicles trailing him but abandoned recording statement after their boss, the Divisional Criminal Investigation Officer in Langata called them and told them that Njenga’s case was being handled by their superior, the Provincial Criminal Investigation Officer (PCIO) in Nairobi Mr Peter Muinde.
Lawyer Paul Muite said that the Provincial Criminal investigation officer was a busy person and would have left his juniors to do the work of recording statements. He said that a call by the Nairobi crime Chief investigator to his juniors proved that police were not serious with this matter and were just buying time as they discover a way on how they will cover for themselves after carrying out the alleged murder.
The former Mungiki boss said that the Assistant Minister, who disclosed to him that Kenyatta was not happy with him, also told him that he (Njenga) refused to accompany him to The Hague because he knew (Njenga) had send former Mungiki members to The Hague to testify against Kenyatta. In the case which is at The Hague it is believed that some former Mungiki members are part of a team that the Chief Prosecutor at the ICC, Louis Moreno Ocampo will be presenting as his key witnesses.
According to Njenga, during the burial of Njenga`s murdered wife Virginia Nyakio and her driver George Njoroge alongside two other slain Mungiki top leaders Ndungu Wagacha and Naphtali Wainaina, Uhuru Kenyatta had volunteered to pay KShs6 million for preservation of the four bodies at a morgue called Umash funeral home in Nairobi. But surprisingly, after the turn of events especially from the ICC, it emerged that whoever was sent by Kenyatta to pay for the morgue service only paid KShs4 million and now Njenga says he received a letter from the court handed over to him by the Assistant Minister from the Kikuyu community instructing him to pay the remaining two million shillings. Njenga said that the Assistant Minister told him that Kenyatta was very much infuriated by him and was no longer willing to assist him in any way and he has to look for a way to pay the balance that the mortuary is demanding.
The sect leader whose organization was blamed for running an extortion ring in the multi-million ‘Matatu’ industry which is a public service Vehicle transport system in Kenya had at the Wednesday press conference claimed that his problems began from his recent attendance of a meeting in Central Province where he was among people who endorsed former wealthy cabinet Minister Mr Njenga Karume as the spokesman of the populous Kikuyu community instead of the Deputy Prime Minister Uhuru Kenyatta. Njenga has claimed that the assassins are demanding two million from him as they allege they have already been promised a million shillings upon finishing the killings. Njenga believes that the two million KShs is the one remaining to clear the mortuary debt.