By Richard A Luce
The widow of Dr John Garang de Mabior, the “Father of the South Sudan Nation”, has told The London Evening Post (The LEP) that no South Sudanese troops will ever target Ugandans working in the country for the sending of Ugandan troops to fight on the side of the country’s leader who is in a dispute with his former Vice president.
In an exclusive interview with Dr Henry Gombya, Editor of The LEP, Mrs Rebecca Nyandeng Garang de Mabior said while Ugandan troops have been seen by the people of South Sudan as ‘invaders’ after entering the country to fight soldiers loyal to former Vice President Riek Machar, she, as the “Mother of the Nation” believes that because of the way Uganda has for many years helped South Sudan in her fight for freedom, no South Sudanese would want to harm Ugandans in any way.
Mrs Garang was reacting to rumours that Ugandans resident in Juba and other South Sudanese towns had been targeted and many may have been bludgeoned to death after President Yoweri Museveni entered the South Sudan conflict on the side of his counterpart Salva Kiir. She said she had not heard any such rumours but that she believes no South Sudanese soldier would want to harm Ugandans.
In the interview which will be posted here fully tomorrow (Saturday), Mrs Garang will surprise few when she clearly states what led to the current crisis in her country and who is to blame for it. She will also reveal what President Museveni said about his troops’ presence on the side of President Kiir and will reveal what has happened to Ugandan troops while fighting in Juba and other South Sudan towns.